pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mia Update

(Mia is the Westie that Kendall is holding)

I took Mia to the vet today because she was trying to pee & nothing was coming out but a little bit of bloody pee.  Today was day 14 of being on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection.  No way should she have an infection.  Plus, she was hyper.  Exuberant.  Better than she's been in, oh, 6 months.  How could she be sick?  So I took her in.  My vet is out of town & another vet at the same practice saw her.  I was given an estimate for around $280 for them to check on her uti & do some xrays.  Let's not mention that I just shelled out $190 for her damn uti to begin with.  (and that estimate?  Bullshit.  $401.  Yeah.)

I went to the vet at lunch to pick her up & talk to the vet.  Turns out that Mia has a stone (like a kidney stone) in her bladder.  It's pretty huge.  About 1/2".  The only way to remove it is with surgery.  Surgery that is between $1000-1500.  Surgery that can only be done by my vet.  Who is out of town.  So she has an appointment for a consultation with my vet when he's back in on Friday.  We'll be discussing just leaving it alone...no surgery.  They want to do another set of xrays with contrast that will run around $300 & I'm not so sure about that either.  Mia has likely had this stone in her bladder for some time.  It appears that it is causing her uti's, which lead to her crashing & almost dying a couple times a year.  Since the last time she crashed (for our anniversary in September) we have gotten proactive & watching her behavior pretty closely.  That's how I saw the blood.  When she gets dehydrated, she gets a uti so now we force feed her water with a turkey baster when she starts getting sickly looking.  And it's worked. 

Now if I can only convince the vet to let me have antibiotics when I know she has a bladder infection life will be good.  I don't want the blood work, the xrays, the $400 bill.  I hope on Friday he will see reason.  She is 12 years old, with a pretty rotten disease (Addison's Disease) & she's costing us a fortune.  So much in fact, I just applied for a part time job, in addition to my full time job. 

I'll let you know what happens Friday.  For now, I'm going to go drink my glass of wine & crawl into bed & pretend today didn't suck so bad.

4 comments:

  1. I ♥ U! Poor Mia. I am thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dutch is hoping for a low cost, speedy recovery! Audra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this ALL sounds so familiar! What can I say? Only that you have to trust your instincts. Muffin was 11 and a half and and although letting her go was one of the hardest things we have ever done (she still looked perfect on the outside!) we are now convinced that it was the right thing to do and are completely caught up and excited about rescuing our next baby. When the money becomes that much of an issue.... well, you need to be open to all the options. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete